I tried a new recipe last night for something I've never made before...a vegetarian burger! It actually turned out a lot better than I hoped it would and I knew I had to share it with you :) I used a recipe from Cooking Light but edited a bit. This recipe makes four patties. I only cooked one burger, so I placed the remaining uncooked patties in the freezer to thaw and cook another day.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of chopped garlic
- 1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon of grated lime rind
- 3/4 teaspoon of chili powder or chipotle seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 large eggs
- Combine garlic, beans, and 1 tablespoon of oil in food processor and blend until you reach a thick spreadable consistency.
- In a bowl, combine bean mixture with breadcrumbs and last four ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
- Divide mixture to make 4 patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan, reduce heat to medium, and cook four minutes or until bottom edges are brown. Flip and cook for an additional three minutes or until bottom edges are done.
I served mine on whole wheat hamburger buns with ketchup, baby spinach, tomato,avocado, and colby jack cheese. Top yours with whatever toppings you like though! Enjoy!